Skip to main content

Bing - A Charter School in Calgary.

Calgary Science School
 
A school whose philosophy claims to bring the natural world and the digital together, "infused with ubiquitous access to laptops, an exciting environmental and outdoor education program".  I wonder if this is possible.  I wonder if there is truly something unique happening here, or is this simply a traditionally modelled school with access to money and permission to deny unwanted students entry.

The web-page confirms a 'placement test' and waiting list of over a thousand students.  It is a publicly funded school and so unlike the private model should avoid some of the issues of a tiered education system based on parental income that exists in the UK and United States.  A look at the Calgary Science School blog suggests great things are happening.  In fact, it is a site full of ideas and worth exploring:


Is this school truly something different?  I don't know, I would like to arrange a visit in the fall and find out for myself.  

But, it does fulfill the mandate of providing a different model that will challenge students.  Are students engaged because they are engaged students to begin with?  Probably.

Is it worth pouring the considerable resources into a single school like this?  Is it fair?  Again.  I don't know.  

Online, this school looks amazing.  So - why aren't there more of them?











Comments

  1. I think you ask great questions, Stephen, and your skepticism is a healthy thing. I also wonder about how innovative it might actually be, and waiting lists of 1000 don't impress me; in fact they concern me as a marketing tool. I wonder, not who gets in to the program, but who doesn't. And who doesn't even bother applying?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment